7.28.2006

Solar electricity


We just got a quote for doing photovoltaic solar cells on the roof. Everything looks good as far as south facing clearance goes, and there are a bunch of tax breaks and rebates that will bring the cost within reach.
The solar energy will be connected to the grid in a scheme called "net-metering", which means you don't need batteries. Instead, you still draw from the grid if your consumption outpaces the amount of solar electricity generated. If your solar output is greater than your consumption your meter spins backwards. This energy is bankable throughout the year, but resets to zero annually.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I have a friend here whose husband does this for a living--has his own solar power business. If you want an outside opinion on pricing, LMK.

John Edgar Park said...

Thanks Silvia, I will send you the details to see what he thinks. The rough estimate is $20,000 for installation of a 2.1KW system. There is a $2000 federal tax credit and an approx. $6000 rebate from the power company, bringing the total down to around $12,000.

Bonk at Home said...

How many Sq Ft of roof would a 2.1KW system cover?

John Edgar Park said...

Great question, I'll have to ask the solar guy when I talk to him.

John Edgar Park said...

I just spoke with Rick from California Solar. He said that the panels will take up about 200 sq.ft.

Elie Avi said...

Awesome, man. Good for you. Solar is the wave of the future. I do some work in the Solar industry myself, including installations and policy work. I just started a blog at http://solarsavvy.blogspot.com . I'm new to this, so it's nothing special just yet, but I'm trying to build it up, so if you or anybody else out there is looking to learn more, check it out

Elie Avi said...

whoops, I messed up that link (Guess I really am new to this) Try this:

http://solarsavvy.blogspot.com